FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
2008 WIDEX Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year
Frederick MD, USA - ICSD is pleased to announce that Maris GRENINS of Latvia and Trude RAAD of Norway have been selected as the 2008 WIDEX Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year by the members of International Committee of Sports for the Deaf Selections Commission through electronic ballot. They earned 101 and 101 points respectively.
Maris GRENINS, born 25 February 1981, won 4 gold medals at the 1st World Deaf Athletics Championships in Izmir, Turkey in August 2008 and he made one world record in 110m hurdles, beating the Vyacheslav Skomorokhov's record set almost 40 years ago in Belgrade 1969. Maris produced many good results and the 4 gold this year was the ultimate achievement.
- Long Jump – Gold Medal 7.67m
- Triple Jump – Gold Medal 14.88m
- 100m – Gold Medal 10.68
- 110m Hurdles – Gold Medal 14.44
Trude RAAD, born 22 April 1990, whose accomplishments included two Gold medals in hammer and discus throw at the World Deaf Athletics Championships in Izmir, Turkey in August 2008. She also holds World Junior Record and European record in discus. Trude is proud to hold hammer throw record in World category. Her other accomplishments include:
- Silver medals (hammer, discus, shot put) at Norwegian Championships (hearing)
- 3 Gold medals (hammer, shot, discus) at Norwegian Junior Championships (hearing)
- Nordic Match (1 gold in hammer 58.90) and (1 silver in shot put 13.15)
- Throw-gala in Halle, Germany in May no. 6 in junior class on hammer 58.03 (Norwegian junior record)
- New record in hammer every weekend in August (58.55, 58.90, 59.37 and 60.47)
Trude at very young age will definitely make news and set more new records.
Congratulations, Maris and Trude!
Other top finishers:
Craig MORGAN (AUS) - Swimming
Jesus GARCIA (VEN) - Athletics
Alexy LANDAR (RUS) - Athletics
Avi BOKLER (ISR) - Karate
Christoph BISCHLAGER (GER) - Athletics
Gábor MATHE (HUN) - Tennis
Huseyin ER (TUR) - Football
Cyril JONARD (FRA) - Judo
Joshua HEMBROUGH (USA) - Athletics
Kairit OLENKO (EST) - Athletics
Olga YAKUBOVSKAYA (RUS) - Athletics
Natalia MIKHAYLOVA (RUS) - Football
Melinda VERNON (AUS) - Athletics
Heike ALBRECHT (GER) - Tennis
Inna REZNIK (UKR) - Karate
Emily CRESSY (USA) - Football
Joana SANTOS (POR) - Judo
Beatrice BRUNNBAUER (AUT) - Alpine Skiing
More information on the winners, along with photos will appear in the upcoming issue of E-NEWS in January!
Posted on 19 Dec 2008