37th CISS Congress: Highlights
- Special Guests at Congress were Liisa Kauppinen, President of WFD and Carol-lee Aquiline Secretary-General of WFD.
- Roll call indicates total of 61 countries with 122 eligible votes.
There are 10 new CISS members: Armenia, Chile, Ghana, Guinea, Malta, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Thailand, & Uruguay. There are now 83 CISS member countries.
- CISS Executive Committee report 1999-2001 approved.
- Many countries applauded the name change to Deaflympics. They feel that it will help them grow positively in their country.
- Items approved:
- Add one more member to the CISS EC- new position called Sports Director will work with CISS TDs.
- Change name from Technical Delegates to Technical Directors.
- Have CISS take responsibility for qualifying rounds for team sports.
- They will hold an election of CISS Technical Directors at the technical meetings during the Deaflympic Games.
- Deaflympic Games regulations.
- Adopt the new CISS logo for new flag to replace the current CISS flag.
- USD $50 annual membership fee to be applied to only developing countries (per UN list).
- Proposed participant fee to be USD $20.
To view detailed minutes of the 37th Congress, click here.
Posted on 01 Dec 2001